Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Eastbourne United Association FC


10-Man United Beaten in Eastbourne Derby

9 months ago By Dean Allchin

Local bragging rights have gone the way of Eastbourne Town after United suffered a 4-1 defeat at The Saffrons on Easter Monday morning

“Image by Joe Knight”
The United cause wasn’t helped by having to play for 75 minutes with just ten men on the pitch as Shaun Lee was shown a straight red card for violent conduct following an alleged off the ball incident.
United welcomed back Adam Davidson and Peter Featherstone to the side having missed the defeat to Hassocks as Ryan Paul and Danny Andrews made way.
Davidson quickly found himself in the referees notebook after a strong challenge on Aaron Capon as the referee set out his stall very early on.
With 15 minutes played, United were reduced to ten men as Lee was dismissed following an incident with Jason Taylor that was brought to the referees attention by his assistant.
As a result, Tyler O’Callaghan was the unfortunate player to be sacrificed for Danny Andrews as Tobi Hutchinson looked to add an experienced head to the backline.
Phil Hawkins was called into action as he produced a superb double save to deny Town taking the lead.
The ten men of United were more than holding their own in front of the 563 fans inside The Saffrons, the highest attended step 5 game on Easter Monday and could have been ahead as Davidson found the run of Ollie Sotoyinbo, but his effort was saved by Greg Nessling.
The save would prove to be crucial as Town regained possession and immediately went up the other end of the pitch and won a penalty after Hawkins pulled back a Town attacker when through on goal.
Hawkins received a caution for his troubles and could only watch on as Taylor’s penalty hit the inside of the post before resting in the opposite corner of the goal.
Taylor would force Hawkins into action again five minutes later as the United stopper did well to acrobatically turn a header over form the former United man.
With five minutes of the first half remaining, United drew level as the ball fell kindly to Sotoyinbo 22 yards from goal and he unleashed a vicious effort that swerved past Nessling and into the back of the net.
Sotoyinbo could have doubled his tally to minutes later with a left footed effort, but it flashed past the far upright.
The second half was only 40 seconds old when Town got their noses in front as Capon raced behind the United defence and squared to Chris Cumming-Bart who fired past Hawkins.
With just over an hour gone and United clearly jaded, Ethan Strevett made it three as he fired low past Hawkins to make the game safe for Town.
United’s forward forays were now few and far between with Max Hollobone and Matt Cunnington restricted to shooting from distance.
The scoring was completed ten minutes from time as Cumming-Bart scored his second of the match as United’s poor away record continued.

Updated 08:35 - 23 Apr 2017 by Dean Allchin

Where next?

Final Home Game of The Season Ends in Defeat Eastbourne United AFC’s final home game of the season ended in a 4-2 defeat at the hands on Littlehampton Town
United Fall to Late Defeat Against Hassocks A late effort from Phil Gault saw Hassocks leave The Oval with all three points as Eastbourne United AFC were defeated 2-1

Sat 20 Jan
League 15:00
Sat 27 Jan
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors